Albion House, a Grade 2 listed structure, was erected in 1806 and is one of the oldest existing buildings in Cheltenham.It derives its name from an old word meaning "England", inspired by Nelson's victory at Trafalgar in 1805. Albion Street, which originates from the site, used to be a lane running behind the dwellings in the High Street and was named after Albion House.
Built and occupied by a local solicitor for a number of years, the house was then owned and rented by a number of people but gradually fell into poor condition. In 1885 the local Liberal Party, seeking a new site to propogate their political message, floated a share issue and bought the building.Thus was the Liberal Club formed and opened to Liberal supporters. Finding it difficult to pay their way, the club soon found it necessary to accept non political members.
Over the years the connection with the local Liberals has weakened and in 1993 the Club was renamed The Albion House Social Club. More on the Listed Building status on the link below...
JUNE 15th 1809